Greendale Dance Academy was established by Miss Melissa in 1994 in the basement of Greendale People's Church. The studio was comprised of 45 students, one assistant teacher and Miss Melissa. At the time, Melissa was also coaching the award winning Greendale People's Church Cheerleading squad. Two years later, the studio grew enough to move to its current location at 15 Ararat Street, conveniently located between West Boylston and Holden. The studio started with just 1/3 of the lower level and over the past 13 years has continued to grow, adding 2 more dance rooms, a new waiting area and a new office. While the studio continues to grow by "leaps and bounds", the studio still allows the average family affordable dance tuition so that everyone can enjoy the world of dance. Our philosophy is "an $80 costume won't make a better dancer." Our dance classes are taught in a serious and professional manner, while maintaining a comfortable atmosphere where students can progress at their own rate. Many of our students take dance just for fun and continue to dance throughout college while others make dance their focus professionally. Whichever path you choose, you will always be welcome at GDA.
Miss Melissa Singley, Owner and Director, has been dancing in the Worcester area since she was 3 years old. After high school, she received her dance training at Dean College where she earned a degree in dance. She is also a graduate of Worcester State College with degrees in Early Childhood Education and Psychology. Outside of dance she is a proud mother of two beautiful children and is married to Peter Singley.
Miss Jamie Cantillon, Assistant Director, learned to dance at Greendale Dance Academy where she was an award winning competition team dancer. After high school, she auditioned and accepted a position as a dancer with Sesame Street Live where she toured the world playing many of the characters your children love, including Prarie Dawn and a Yup Yup alien. Her choreography is cutting edge and always receiving praise from parents and judges. Outside of dance, Jamie is an avid cyclist and snowshoer and has volunteered her time with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
"Mr." Pete Singley, Owner and Business Manager, is a public school music teacher and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from Plymouth State University and a Master of Arts and Letters degree with a concentration in Music from the American Band College at Sam Houston State University, formerly at Southern Oregon University. Peter has been involved with the studio since the beginning, providing sound and technical direction while he was still in college. His "Jack Of All Trades" talent means he has his hands in just about every aspect of the studio, from the website, to candid photography, the recital video, hardwood floor installer and every once in awhile, he cleans dances. Drawing on his years of professional music experience, he helps dancers with musicality and rhythm. Outside of dance, Pete enjoys boating, DJ'ing school dances and spending time with his family.
Our students and families tell us that we're different from the rest. Here are some of the many things that set the Greendale Dance Academy family apart from other studios in the area:
- Miss Melissa has degrees in Dance, Early Childhood Education as well as Psychology.
- We never use our high school students as lead teachers. Our staff of professional dance teachers have many years of dance experience. Most importantly, they enjoy teaching children of all ages and abilities.
- We have a TV monitoring system for all dance rooms so parents can watch their child dance without interrupting class.
- Our classes are kept small enough to always receive individual attention.
- We offer an extraordinarily nurturing environment for the new and developing dancer.
- Our competitive pricing. We are family run to keep tuition costs low. And as always, June tuition is FREE.
- We are a digital studio. Most everything that comes in paper form, is available online. And we use Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and email to keep parents updated.
- Our Web site - We maintain this site ourselves and update it frequently. Parents appreciate being able to download and read class handouts online as well as having access to weather closings without waiting through "the list" on the radio.
- We have danced three times in Disney World -giving over 100 students the opportunity to perform in Disney.
- In November 2004 and 2006 we performed in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In 2006 we had students in the opening AND closing acts of the parade.
- Competition experience is offered to a wide range of dancers, not just the "most talented". Dancers earn many Platinum, Gold, Silver Awards along with special judges awards and High Overalls each year.
- Our schedule follows the Worcester Public School Calendar, with a few exceptions to make sure each class has an equal number of meetings.
- Several of our dancers have gone on to major and minor in dance in college and some are dancing professionally.
Here are some comments we have received recently from our dancers and parents. If you have comments you would like to share with us, please forward them to us via e-mail.
"...taught with an eye towards enjoyment, not just perfection."
"GDA has presented a great balance between classes that challenged my daughter to improve, but which were also taught with an eye towards enjoyment, not just perfection." ~ Parent
"Proud...to tell people my daughter dances at Greendale."
"You guys are doing such a good job with everything. The school is so well-run, you're always searching for (and implementing!) ways to improve both the facility and logistics for classes and events. I was so impressed with what you did with the recitals last season (2007)."
"Even though my daughter is not a competition dancer, I don't feel she is treated like a second class citizen."
"I just wanted to let you guys know what a professional image you portray, and as a parent, how proud I am to tell people that my daughter dances at Greendale. Just needed to share that with you!" ~ Parent
"My family and I enjoyed each and every dance routine."
"Thank you so very much for making my daughter's first recital an event she will forever treasure. My family and I enjoyed each and every dance routine. I am so proud to be a member at Greendale Dance Academy. We look forward to a new and exciting season." ~ Parent
"They have learned so much from you and have truly enjoyed their first dance experience."
"Thank you for teaching our children with the care that you show. They have learned so much from you and have truly enjoyed their first dance experience. You are such a gift to them. We are all looking forward to their first recital and another year of dancing. Thank you." ~ Parents
"Greatly appreciate all you do for us!!"
"Thank you so much for another AMAZING year. Both my family and I greatly appreciate all you do for us!! You have been an amazing influence to me! I look forward to spending another year with you!" ~ Student
"So happy attending her summer camp session."
"Our appreciation to everyone who was involved in our daughter's summer activities. She has been so happy attending her summer camp session, that she is excited to attend fall session as well." ~ Parent
"Web site is by far the most informative."
"Your Web site is by far the most informative and easiest to get around of all the dance studios in the area. I like being able to read the newsletters at work that get lost in the bottom of my daughter's dance bag." ~ Parent
Learn to dance with Greendale Dance Academy. We are proud to be one of the Top Dance Studios In Worcester, MA with lessons in ballet, tap, jazz, acro, hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, modern, pointe, and creative movement for toddlers through adults. If you would like more information about our dance lessons, please visit our Contact Us page and send us a note.